Posted by Yasser Ali on November 11, 2012

A study has found that many Blackberry phones can cause people to break out into a rash or two as they contain significant amounts of nickel. The least irritating smartphones were found to be those from Apple.

Found in many electronic devices
Cobalt and nickel are used in a variety of consumer electronics devices and everyday tools and appliances. You could expect to find them in scissors, toys, door knobs, and even in jewellery.

But if you are sensitive to nickel or cobalt allergy, it is advisable to stay away from products containing them as extended use could trigger the allergy.

Allergy experts recommend avoiding prolonged conversations on such phones or using them for long periods if you begin to notice any symptoms.

iPhones least irritating
‘Patients with nickel and cobalt allergies should consider using iPhones to reduce the chance of having an allergic reaction,’ said allergist Dr Luz Fonacier.

Nickel was found present in over a third of Blackberry phones tested.

The findings of the study were presented at the annual meeting of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology by Dr. Tania Muccia.

Women run a higher risk of having an allergy towards the metals as they are more likely to have used jewellery containing the metals.

If you happen to be using a Blackberry phone and want to protect yourself from the metals, using plastic cover cases and wireless headsets with your smartphone is recommended.

Section: 

27 March 2014

A Washington State University food scientist and colleagues at Texas A&M AgriLife Research claim in a study that peach extracts contain the mixture of phenolic compounds that can reduce a...