A Washington State University food scientist and colleagues at Texas A&M AgriLife Research claim in a study that peach extracts contain the mixture of phenolic compounds that can reduce a...
The recent studies have shown that the intake of black tea/ green tea is gaining popularity for weight loss, diabetes and other health benefits.
What is black tea:
Black tea is a type of tea more oxidised than oolong, green and white teas. It is generally more stronger in flavor than the less oxidised teas. Camellia sinensis is the shrub, whose leaves are used to make all the other four types of tea.
Black tea without sweeteners or additives contains negligible quantities of calories, protein, sodium, and fat. All the other teas from the camellia tea plant are rich in polyphenols, which are renowned for antioxidant properties.
How is black tea made?
The brewing of black tea is different from that normal tea. Generally, 2.25 grams of tea per 180 ml of water, or about a teaspoon of black tea per 6 oz. cup, should be used. The steeping of black tea should not exceed 3-4 minutes as extra steeping would end up making the tea bitter, owing to an unpleasant taste to the palate. Black teas served with lemon or milk can be steeped for 4-5 minutes. When tea is steeped as per the likes of the drinker, it should be strained and served.
Drinking 3-5 cups of black tea daily is usually recommended to improve overall health condition. Black tea prepared with milk lessens the health benefits, as compared to drinking it without it. Occasional addition of sugar, honey, ginger or lime juice while brewing your black tea is a good idea.
Health benefits of black tea:
The fermentation process, which involves the green tea to become black, causes the production of complex health giving flavonoids, say scientists. They also analysed the consumption of black tea and its link with various diseases, including Type 2 diabetes.
1. Black tea helps to eliminate the cell damaging radicals, which in turn help the body to detoxify and is rich in antioxidants specially polyphenols.
2. Black tea helps to boost immune system which helps in overall fitness as it has good number of flavonoids including catechins, thearubigins, and epicatechins.
3. Black tea has a special property to block DNA damage associated with tobacco and other toxic chemicals.
4. Consumption of black tea helps to reduce the level of bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol in the body resulting in weight loss.
5. Black tea also boosts the metabolic activity of the body and helps in weight loss, a key factor in preventing diabetes.
6. Black tea can definitely delay the coming of diabetes, can block allergic responses, and retard tumor growth.
It was found in the year 2009 in the World Health Survey, that the nations who drank the most black tea suffered from the lowest levels of metabolic syndrome, shows a data analysis from 50 countries. The list of countries surveyed included Ireland, where each person was believed to consume an average of 4.4 pounds of it every year.
1. A rat study: A three month long rat study shows that both green and black teas are good for controlling diabetes. They also help in preventing and developing cataracts in animals.
These teas contain the most potential, inexpensive, nontoxic blood sugar lowering agent, say the researchers. Black tea may be the most simple and the most inexpensive means of preventing and lessening human diabetes avoiding complications.
To get the same dose of tea given to the rats, a 143-pound person would have to drink 4.5 8-ounce cups of tea every day.
2. Researcher Ariel Beresniak, MD, PhD, of the mathematical research group Data Mining International in Geneva, Switzerland is still not entirely convinced of the cause and effect relationship of black tea and diabetes but believes in further research to prove the anti diabetic qualities of the black tea because of the fermentation process involved.
3. Diabetes specialist Spyros Mezitis, MD, of Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, says that there is no harm in drinking tea, but there is still no compelling reason to recommend the patients to drink this tea for avoiding or preventing Diabetes.
Making this very lifestyle change would go a long way and with no side or ill effects. It is soon to gain immense popularity to prevent diseases like diabetes.