A Washington State University food scientist and colleagues at Texas A&M AgriLife Research claim in a study that peach extracts contain the mixture of phenolic compounds that can reduce a...
Are your elbows so dark and rough that you are ashamed to use clothing without sleeves?
Dark elbows look extremely ugly, especially if the rest of the arms are a lighter shade. Despite an otherwise immaculate appearance, rough elbows can make a person look dirty and un-kept.
Darkened elbow could be a result of many factors such as suntan, build-up of dead skin cells, friction, use of certain medications but are mainly due to lack of consistent care and neglect of the skin around the area.
Fret not, for though the results are not instantaneous, regular care and a few simple home remedies followed religiously will make elbows look brighter and softer.
Some Natural Remedies
1. It is imperative to keep elbows clean and free of dirt by washing them regularly with warm water and an antiseptic soap.
2. Exfoliating the skin around the elbows helps expose the fresh layer of skin beneath the darkened layer. Use of a loofah to regularly scrub the skin on your elbows while having a bath works wonders.
3. A thick paste of coarsely ground almonds or walnuts and milk rubbed on elbows for just half a minute before washing it off will get rid of the dead skin and leave your elbows looking soft and smooth.
4. Another excellent exfoliating scrub would be a mixture of yogurt with dried, powdered orange peels, a few drops of lime juice and olive oil. Mix these ingredients so that you get a thick paste and use this to scrub your elbows. This scrub works for both dry and oily skin.
5. The most recommended method to lighten elbows is rubbing lime juice on the affected area since lemon acts as natural bleach. Once you rub the juice on, allow it to settle for about ten minutes on the skin and follow it with a warm water rinse.
6. You can also mix the juice of a lemon with some fresh cream, coconut oil or vinegar to increase the benefits. This should be applied to the elbows and allowed to dry, before washing it off with warm water and wiping clean with a soft towel.
7. A mixture of some lemon juice, cucumber juice and turmeric applied on the elbows and washed off after 15 to 20 minutes works wonders in improving the skin tone and texture.
8. You can take a slice of orange or cucumber and rub it into your elbow till it is completely crushed. The juice can be left there till it dries and then washed off. All these substances are naturally bleaching agents and will lighten the color of elbows.
9. A mixture of gram flour, turmeric, and milk can also be applied to the elbows and scrubbed off after half an hour to get rid of the dead skin and lighten darkened elbows.
10. Yogurt and vinegar mixed and applied to the elbows and washed off after 20 to 30 minutes is also good for moisturizing and lightening the skin of the elbows.
11. It is important to keep elbows moisturized properly by using a good cream, especially at night when it gets ample time to nourish the skin and work its magic.
12. Always go out in the sun with a sunscreen applied to your elbows. This will go a long way towards helping you to get rid of the darkness.
Originally published on 24-12-2010.